Cornbread salad is a simple and colorful layered salad that starts with crumbled cornbread and loaded with a variety of vegetables.
Good morning and happy Hump Day!!!! Well, it's that time of year again to help spread the word about the 20th Annual Martha White®/Lodge Cast Iron® National Cornbread Cook Off & Festival, which will take place on April 23 - 24th in Pittsburg, TN.
The National Cornbread Festival is a weekend-long celebration of cornbread and cornbread festivities, and this year is their 20th Anniversary!!! Thousands of people from all over come to South Pittsburg to see the sights, hear the music, feel the history and get their fill of all things cornbread.
Today I'm sharing my favorite Southern Cornbread Salad recipe as a part of the 2016 Martha White Virtual Cornbread Potluck. This layered salad is as delicious as it is beautiful. At first glance, most folks will sort of look at you strange when you say "cornbread salad".
All I can say is don't knock it before you try it, because cornbread and salad really do come together quite nicely. This easy salad is perfect for picnics, church potlucks, family gatherings or cookouts. Trust me, if you show up to your next gathering with this colorful layered salad, you're sure to take home an empty bowl.
The dry cornmeal gives the bottom of the cornbread a nice crunch and the bacon grease adds a delicious flavor. This is totally optional, but totally worth it!!! This is how my Mamaw bakes her cornbread, so that's how I bake mine.
♥ Look at all those delicious and colorful layers ♥
To kick off the 2016 Cornbread Festival Martha White® is hosting a Virtual Cornbread Potluck along with myself and a few other bloggers. If you have a chance, stop by each of the following blogs and check out all the delicious potluck recipes. So without further ado, Welcome to the Martha White Virtual Cornbread Potluck!
- Caprese Cornbread from The Country Cook
- Fresh Tomato Tart with Black Pepper Cornbread Crust from Southern Pantry
- 2 - Ingredients Hot Water Cornbread from Southern Plate
- Blueberry Cornbread from Southern Bite
- Cheddar, Bacon, Jalapeno Cornbread Loaf from Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen
- Barbecue Chicken Cornbread Muffins from Plain Chicken
- Chicken Chili with Cornbread Crust from This Mama Loves
- BLT Cornbread Salad from Picky Palate
- Sloppy Joe Cornbread Muffins from Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins from About a Mom
3 - cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1 1/2 - cups English cucumber, chopped
3 - 4 green onions, chopped + additional for garnish
3 - large tomatoes, chopped or use 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
2 - cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 - packet (1.0 ounce) Hidden Valley Ranch or Buttermilk dressing mix. prepared
2. When cornbread is cool, cut into 1 - inch cubes and spread out on a large baking sheet. Let the cornbread dry out on the counter for at least 6 hours before using.
4. Layer the remaining ingredients in the following order, romaine lettuce, beans, corn, green bell pepper, cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes and bacon (if using).
5. Add the remaining cornbread cubes and the shredded cheese over the last of the cornbread.
6. Add the ranch dressing and spread evenly over the top of the cheese. Garnish with chopped green onions, cover and refrigerate salad at least 2 hours before serving.
Cook's Note: Crumbled bacon can also be added for more flavor. Save the bacon grease and use in the bottom of your skillet before adding the cornbread batter. Two cups thawed frozen corn can be substituted for canned corn.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Martha White. I'm a proud Martha White Baking Blogger and I've been compensated for my time and efforts in creating this post. All opinions above are my own. #marthawhite #cornbreadcookoff #sponsored